Moving your pets to France

Moving with animals to France is a fairly straightforward process and we know of many people who have brought entire menageries all the way down to the Charente!

We decided to leave our cat with one of our daughters (he’s pretty old and has had enough of moving around) but if you are going to bring your pet it is necessary that they have a health certificate which has been issued no more than five days before your departure.

It is also necessary that your animal has an up-to-date rabies vaccination certificate, microchip or tattoo and cats and dogs should have an EU pet passport.

Obtaining a Pet Passport

In Great Britain, your Local Veterinary Inspector (LVI) will be able to issue your pet with a passport. If your local vet’s practice does not have a resident LVI, then your local Animal Health Office should be able to help you.

Once you have a valid passport, your pet will then be liable for re-entry into the UK 6 calendar months from the date that the blood sample that gave a satisfactory test result was taken. The re-entry date is not shown on the passport so you should make a note of it.

For more information on obtaining a pet passport, click on the link below:
Moving with animals

Returning to the UK with your pet

If you want to return to the UK with your pet after your stay in France:

You have to contact the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs or the Departement of Agriculture and Rural Development of Northern Ireland for an Import Licence. You can obtain more information on quarantine procedures from:

Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
1A Page Street
London, England SW1 4PQ

Tel: +44 (0) 207 904 6222
Fax: +44 (0) 207 904 6834
or follow this link: Moving with animals

For further information, you can also contact UK Embassy in France:
Ambassade de Grande-Bretagne
32 bd du Faubourg Saint-Honoré
75 383 Paris Cedex 08

Tel: 00 33 1 44 51 32 56
Fax: 00 33 1 44 51 33 11
Website: UK Embassy-France

The French Ministry of Agriculture:
Ministère de l’agriculture et de la Pêche Bureau de l’identification et du contrôle des mouvements des animaux
251 rue de Vaugirard
75 015 PARIS

Tel : 0033 1 49 55 84 72
Fax : 0033 1 49 55 81 97
Website : Minsitry of Agriculture

French Embassy-UK For any other inquiries you might have!

Useful Phrases

You might find these phrases useful when you visit a French vet:

I am travelling back to the UK with my cat/dog/ferret under the Pet Travel Scheme
Je retourne au Royaume-Uni avec mon chat/chien/furet dans le cadre du Programme de voyage des animaux de compagnie (PVAC) [Pet Travel Scheme - pets].

Can you read my pet's microchip? Do you have a microchip reader? The microchip is located here (point where the microchip is).
Pouvez-vous lire la micropuce de mon animal? Avez-vous un lecteur de micropuce? La puce est ici (montrez du doigt l'endroit où se trouve la puce).

My pet has to be treated against ticks and tapeworms (Rhipicephalus sanguineus and Echinococcus multilocularis). Can you do this?
Mon animal doit être traité contre les tiques et les ténias (Rhipicephalus sanguineus et Echinococcus multilocularis). Pouvez-vous le faire?

The treatment for ticks must be an acaricide licensed for use against ticks. A tick collar is not acceptable. The treatment for tapeworms must contain praziquantel.
Le traitement contre les tiques doit être un acaricide agréé pour une utilisation contre les tiques. Un collier antiparasitaire contre les tiques n'est pas acceptable. Le traitement contre les ténias doit contenir du praziquantel.

You will need to complete sections VI and VII of my pet's passport/give me an official certificate to show that you have treated my pet. You must record the day and time that you did the treatment.
Je dois vous demander de remplir les sections VI et VII du passeport de mon animal/de me remettre un certificat officiel prouvant que vous avez traité mon animal. Vous devez ndiquer le jour et l'heure de la vaccination.

I already have an official certificate for my pet to re-enter the UK. I got it from my vet in the UK. Do you want to see it?
J'ai déjà un certificat officiel pour le retour de mon animal au Royaume-Uni. Je l'ai obtenu chez mon vétérinaire au Royaume-Uni. Voulez-vous le voir?

My cat/dog has been vaccinated against rabies and successfully blood tested.
Mon chat/chien a été vacciné contre la rage. On lui a ensuite fait une analyse de sang, avec un résultat satisfaisant.

My vet took the blood sample for the blood test on .......
Mon vétérinaire a fait le prélèvement pour l'analyse de sang le ......

Can you give me an EU pet passport/official entry certificate for travel to the UK under the Pet Travel Scheme?
Pouvez-vous me délivrer un passeport UE pour animal de compagnie/un certificat officiel d'autorisation d'importation de mon animal au Royaume-Uni dans le cadre du Programme de voyage des animaux de compagnie ?

Official certificates are supplied in France by the SNVEL
Les certificats officiels sont fournis en France par le SNVEL.

My pet is not resident in France. Therefore it does not have to be tattooed
Mon animal ne réside pas en France. Il n'a donc pas besoin d'être tatoué.